Showcase Push examples on Chrome not working

UI Components for JSF
bobsmells

27 Feb 2015, 08:44

I'm running Google Chrome Version 42.0.2311.11 dev-m (64-bit), and none of the Primefaces Showcase Push examples are working at all. To be clear, these are the ones hosted on your site, not a version of the showcase running on my site.

I can run them all successfully in IE in the same environment through the same corporate proxy, and all of the other Primefaces Showcase examples (apart from PF Push) work fine.

I don't get any error messages, just nothing happens. If I go to the push counter example (http://www.primefaces.org/showcase/push/counter.xhtml), I get whatever is the latest value of the counter because the page is refreshed, but when I click the button, nothing happens. If I click in IE, I see the counter update via ajax.

Any ideas?

bobsmells

27 Feb 2015, 08:51

Actually, the counter does seem to work after a while. Not immediately, but if I leave it on the counter page the counter eventually catches up. Weird. But the notify example, which is what I'm really interested in, does not seem to ever work.

bobsmells

06 Mar 2015, 07:15

Some more info:
1. The request is clearly hitting the server, and it's the browser failing to poll which is the issue. I can tell this because if I have an IE/FF window open on the Push Showcase Notify page, and I have another in Chrome....then if I submit the form in Chrome, the IE/FF window receives the growl. That's fine, I understand why it's happening, and it's proof that the request gets to the server. However, we need Chrome to be able to receive push notifications (and unfortunately the opposite of the weird scenario above does NOT happen, you can't submit in IE/FF and receive in Chrome)

2. When running the Push Notify example in Chrome, I can see in the javascript console we get:
failed: WebSocket opening handshake timed out.
It seems to downgrade to Comet after that. The Atmosphere support matrix seems to indicate that Chrome v42 should be supported by Websockets, but of course I don't know what app server you're running the showcase on; that may cause the downgrade. I've tried downloading the showcase to run it locally, but neither the 5.0 or 5.1 showcase war will install on Weblogic 12c, which is the platform I'd need to be running my app on. Am I out of luck in that Primefaces Push doesn't work on Weblogic 12c?

I'll post a screenshot of the Chrome dev tools network traffic trace.

bobsmells

31 Mar 2015, 05:19

Sooo....has nobody else tried the showcase push samples on Chrome? I'm not talking about a local version of the showcase, I'm merely hitting the primefaces.org hosted versions, with the latest Chrome, and all other browsers on this machine using the same corporate proxy are fine. The Atmosphere github page says that Chrome is supported, but it simply doesn't work at all.

(As a side note I've tried many times to download the showcase and deploy it on my local Weblogic 12c server, but it fails deployment every time.)

sandsbl

07 Dec 2015, 03:20

I would like to revive this question if I could. I am wanting to migrate an existing application built on Prime Push 4.0 to 5.x to take advantage of new features. However, like the original poster, I cannot get Push to work. Both the counter and notify Showcase examples do not update in either Chrome (v. 47.0.2526.73) or Firefox (v. 38.0.5) unless I manually refresh the page. Is there some browser setting I need to enable for these examples to work properly? I fear that if I can not see the professional examples working on the PrimeFace Showcase site, then I will have a difficult time debugging my application migration even if the code is working properly.

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information