Dedicated Tooltip component

Forum rules
Please note that response time for technical support is within 3-5 business days.
megaroeny

18 Aug 2023, 17:29

I am a little confused why the Tooltip components in the Figma library are nested inside another component that is a box (supposed to represent an input field?) It would be ideal to have a dedicated Tooltip component that can be applied to anything that can receive a tooltip target. This would allow designers much more flexibility using the library with other components instances. Always keep the consumers in mind as the end result to how you're building this library. Users/consumers of the system should be priority over the maintainers. ;)

For a nice flexible, and responsive component, check out the one I made for my free Wireframing Kit. Download the file and go to the Tooltips component to see how I made it :D

Thanks!

megaroeny

18 Aug 2023, 17:43

I noticed a gap with the current tooltips as well, but this can be solved if you use the same method I did with mine. I would flatten the beak (arrow) as well, so the bounding box touches the edge of it to avoid a gap too.

w00f

21 Aug 2023, 12:02

Hi Reony,

I understood what you wanted to explain clearly. The thing we put as a tooltip component serves as an example for its usage in demos, hence it includes usage with the input. The component we put as _tooltip-tooltip can actually be used with all other tooltip eligible components.

We will see what we can do. For now, the first thing we can do is to remove the "_" situation in _tooltip-tooltip and make it available in the library. Whether we delete the demos with the input is something we need to think about and then decide.

I am aware of the gap issue, it was done exactly that way in the UI Kit because that's how it is in component libraries. In a scenario where UI Kit was the source of truth, we should have fixed it in UI Kit first and then waited for the libraries to be corrected, but now the situation is the opposite. I will inform my teammates for corrections.

Best :ugeek: ,

megaroeny

21 Aug 2023, 14:47

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification w00f! No worries, take care.

megaroeny

08 Sep 2023, 16:18

I wanted to expand on this for all Overlay components, too. I am noticing this for Dialogs, Popups, etc.

For example, this causes many issues when trying to use them in designs/mockups. I don't want to be forced to have a Popup appear below a button, for example.

Thanks again for your consideration! Take care.

Return to “Figma”

• Information