primefaces 3.0 user guide

UI Components for JSF
zorro6064

30 Apr 2011, 07:00

when prime technology publish primefaces 3.0 user guide and we can buy it?

cagatay.civici
Prime

30 Apr 2011, 15:47

It will be ready when 3.0 is released.

stevesobol

30 Apr 2011, 23:06

It would be nice to have preliminary documentation of the new components. Not having that documentation makes it more difficult to actually use those components; I've tried to use a couple of them and have become frustrated at the lack of documentation, which makes me want to go back to RichFaces (although at first glance, PrimeFaces seems to be easier to use and more in line with my development goals).

Put a disclaimer into the docs to the effect that the new features are subject to change - that's fine. But I expect *some* information to be included in the documentation, especially when the only available documentation is a PDF that I am required to pay for.

(note: I'm not complaining about paying for the PDF. I have no problem giving financial support to a worthwhile OSS project. But since I did pay for the docs, I expect a little more than I might expect if the docs were available at no charge.)

Freebit

01 May 2011, 11:39

/signed

pavaros

01 May 2011, 11:48

You can find some examples with source at http://www.primefaces.org/showcase-labs/ui/home.jsf
This may help a bit, but like you, I'm also waiting for the full manual...
Paul.
JSF 2.2.3, Primefaces 4.0, Tomcat-7.0.40

Freebit

01 May 2011, 15:41

Btw: what's the sense in publishing a milestone to the community without any up-to-date documentation?

You get free feedback and bugreports for the framework, you get user guide corrections and all the other benefits of a big community that stands behind the product.
So why do you still make it worse by holding back the needed documentation? Nearly everything inside the docs has been asked and answered somewhere on this or other forums. (I buyed the 2.2 docs and was disappointed)

I'd suggest: make the doc (even the draft) public to everyone and focus your pro-customers support. That way you should gain much better resonance (ICEFaces and RichFaces are both documented quite well) and less "basic" questions.

Edit: @pavaros: the examples don't provide any information on the data types to be used in the faces tags - if you're an experienced JSF programmer this shouldn't be too bad but even then it's sometimes very frustrating

stevesobol

02 May 2011, 07:59

I agree. With zero documentation, the new features are rather useless.

cagatay.civici
Prime

02 May 2011, 08:11

Btw: what's the sense in publishing a milestone to the community without any up-to-date documentation?
PrimeFaces never updated the guide for milestones and it will never do so in the future. Milestones are not final so it doesn't make sense to provide documentation.
I agree. With zero documentation, the new features are rather useless.
There is documentation which is the showcase.

Code: Select all

Edit: @pavaros: the examples don't provide any information on the data types to be used in the faces tags - if you're an experienced JSF programmer this shouldn't be too bad but even then it's sometimes very frustrating
Java source is also provided in examples, also showcase is free to checkout/download to get full access.
(I buyed the 2.2 docs and was disappointed)
Sorry to hear that as being the author of the guide, that is the best I can do by writing a 440+ pages of documentation.

Freebit

02 May 2011, 16:17

Just an example:

http://www.primefaces.org/showcase-labs ... eRadio.jsf

Where can I access the java code here? I do have problems with esp. this components and there's no documentation about it. If it's work in progress... okay but you'd give a statement or something on the showcase then.

Btw: it's great to see that there's a 400+ pages doc but I think the overall concept should be more open to free users and more supporting to pro-users (that purchased support etc.) - just my thoughts on that

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information