In Cell Editing for dynamic columns

UI Components for JSF
tosh

29 Jun 2011, 10:16

Hi,

Im new to JSF(2.1.1-b04) & PrimeFaces (3.0.M1), so far Ive found it all very easy to use and highly recommend it.

Im having a bit of trouble creating an editable datatable with dynamic columns.

Basically Im creating an application that must render data from a database and allow users the ability to edit that data. I have implemented a p:datatable with dynamic colums. The user can choose from approx 100 tables to edit, and they all have different columns. I managed to dynamically create the datatable columns very easily and quickly.

The trouble Im having is enabling the editing facility on the p:columns - is it even possible? I can get it working very easily on a standard p:column tag - so Im not sure if my syntax is wrong or if its just not available.

I hope it is available as its an important part of my application.

My datatable code is like this :

<p:dataTable var="logData" value="#{logEditsBean.nmcsLogData}" >
<p:column headerText="Edit">
<p:rowEditor />
</p:column>
<p:columns value="#{logEditsBean.fieldInfo}"
var="column"
columnIndexVar="colIndex">
<f:facet name="header">
#{column.columnName}
</f:facet>
<p:cellEditor>
<f:facet name="output">
<h:outputText value="#{logData.logFields[colIndex].value} " />
<f:facet name="input">
<h:inputText value="#{logData.logFields[colIndex].value}" />
</p:cellEditor>
</p:columns>
</p:dataTable>

Thanks for your time

tosh

29 Jun 2011, 12:11

Anyone come across this before, or is my question a stupid one that has been answered multiple times?

I have looked for the answer in the forums and google and found nothing other than posts with no replies.

Thanks

tosh

29 Jun 2011, 15:33

ok, I got around it by dynamically creating my columns in a loop. Here is my solution - just in case anyone else hits the same issues I had.

If the cell is editable then I render the p:cellEditor tag, otherwise a standard outputText tag

Code: Select all

<c:forEach items="#{logEditsBean.fieldInfo}" var="column" varStatus="colLoopStatus">
				<p:column headerText="#{column.columnName}">
					<p:cellEditor rendered="#{column.editable}">
							<h:outputText value="#{logData.logFields[colLoopStatus.index].value}" />
							<p:inputText value="#{logData.logFields[colLoopStatus.index].value}"
								style="width:100%" />
					<h:outputText value="#{logData.logFields[colLoopStatus.index].value}" rendered="#{not column.editable}"/>					
			</c:forEach>
Thanks

alankstewart

02 Aug 2011, 10:52

Would you please post the contents of your logEditsBean?
Thanks

colm.mchugh

25 Aug 2011, 15:43

Hi Tosh,

What JSF component libs are you using? I am facing a similar problem to you and tried to implement your suggesting using ui:repeat instead of c:foreach. But, the component does not show at all, which is step backwards for me. I'm not using jstl (c:) because I heard there's compatibility problems with PrimeFaces. I'm using html (h:), facelets (ui:), core (f:) and primefaces.
tosh wrote:ok, I got around it by dynamically creating my columns in a loop. Here is my solution - just in case anyone else hits the same issues I had.

If the cell is editable then I render the p:cellEditor tag, otherwise a standard outputText tag

<c:forEach items="#{logEditsBean.fieldInfo}" var="column" varStatus="colLoopStatus">
					<h:outputText value="#{logData.logFields[colLoopStatus.index].value}" rendered="#{not column.editable}"/>					
Thanks
PF: 3.0.M3, JSF: 2.0, AS: GF 3.0.1

lyubomyr.shaydariv

23 Apr 2012, 16:12

A good question indeed. I've got a similar problem, and googling the solution led me to this topic too. I tried to make it work just right it's described here, but I couldn't achieve the same results. I'm not sure, but the p:dataTable seem not support the suggested iteration tags (or I could just do something wrong [can't provide my exact code right now 'cause I've reverted it])... I know, this assumption looks stupid, but could anyone confirm or refute that? That would be really appreciated.

A bit more by me on this at StackOverflow: JSF: Using PrimeFaces DataTable to implement a generic table viewer/editor based on the dynamic/repeated columns?

PF: primefaces-3.2.jar

anasbenz

22 Dec 2012, 03:12

Hi,
this is my first post.
To enable row editing with dynamic columns, i added this instruction styleClass="ui-editable-column" to <p:columns tag and it works :D

irene_villa

22 Feb 2013, 01:56

Please Tosh, help me I need to make this, the cell editable with dynamic columns...for you help Thanks :)

tosh wrote:ok, I got around it by dynamically creating my columns in a loop. Here is my solution - just in case anyone else hits the same issues I had.

Thanks

irene_villa

22 Feb 2013, 01:57

Hi, sorry find some solutions for this problem, help me thanks
lyubomyr.shaydariv wrote:A good question indeed. I've got a similar problem, and googling the solution led me to this topic too. I tried to make it work just right it's described here, but I couldn't achieve the same results. I'm not sure, but the p:dataTable seem not support the suggested iteration tags (or I could just do something wrong [can't provide my exact code right now 'cause I've reverted it])... I know, this assumption looks stupid, but could anyone confirm or refute that? That would be really appreciated.

A bit more by me on this at StackOverflow: JSF: Using PrimeFaces DataTable to implement a generic table viewer/editor based on the dynamic/repeated columns?

PF: primefaces-3.2.jar

janguela

25 Mar 2013, 10:01

anasbenz wrote:Hi,
this is my first post.
To enable row editing with dynamic columns, i added this instruction styleClass="ui-editable-column" to <p:columns tag and it works :D
Hi anabenz,

I have the same requirements commented in this post (Cell Editing + Dynamic columns) and I have tried your solution but it didn't work for me.

I am using PF v3.5 and when I used the styleClass="ui-editable-column" it is true that it turned my table editable as you mention, BUT, when modifying its cells, it is only updating the first column cells.

This is the code that I am using :

<h:form id="form">

<p:growl id="messages" showDetail="true" />

<p:contextMenu for="concepts" widgetVar="cMenu">
			<p:menuitem value="Edit Cell" icon="ui-icon-search" onclick="conceptsTable.showCellEditor();return false;" />
			<p:menuitem value="Hide Menu" icon="ui-icon-close" onclick="cMenu.hide()" />
		</p:contextMenu>

<h:panelGrid id="grid" columns="3" style="margin-bottom:10px">
			<h:outputLabel for="template" value="Template:" style="font-weight:bold" />
			<p:inputText id="template" value="#{quotation.columnTemplate}" size="50" />
			<p:commandButton id="btn" update="concepts" actionListener="#{quotation.updateColumns}" value="Update" process="@parent" />
		</h:panelGrid>

<p:dataTable id="concepts" var="concept" value="#{quotation.concepts}" filteredValue="#{quotation.filteredConcepts}" editable="true" editMode="cell" widgetVar="conceptsTable">

<p:ajax event="cellEdit" listener="#{quotation.onCellEdit}" update=":form:messages" />

<p:columns value="#{quotation.columns}" var="column" sortBy="#{concept[column.property]}" filterBy="#{concept[column.property]}" styleClass="ui-editable-column">
				<f:facet name="header">  
	                #{column.header}  

<p:cellEditor>
						<h:outputText value="#{concept[column.property]}" />
						<p:inputText value="#{concept[column.property]}" style="width:96%" label="#{column.header}"/>

</p:columns>

</p:dataTable>

</h:form>
I am also concerned regarding what it is said in the User Guide v3.5 : DataTable -> Dynamic Columns (page 139)
Features like sortBy and filterBy are supported however advanced features like editing is not.
I would greatly appreciate a clarification on this subject.
Thanks,
Jordi

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information