Datatable instead of datalist to supprt livescroll+lazyload?

UI Components for JSF
ertiop93

06 Aug 2011, 22:02

I need to use a datalist that could support lazy loading & live scroll features.

I aim to implement a datalist something similar to linkedin/digg's network feeds list. So although I have just a single column to show, but inorder to fulfill my requirements for lazyloading and livescroll features, Is it advisable to use datatable instead of a datalist ?
Using Primefaces 3.4 Snapshot with JSF(Myfaces) 2.1.8

cagatay.civici
Prime

07 Aug 2011, 16:00

DataList does not support live scrolling nor lazy load.

ertiop93

08 Aug 2011, 00:37

Yeah I know that .. but wont it be very nice if it had supported live scroll !?

Datatable is used to present tabular data which most of the times(in real world scenarios,) dont need support for live scroll, but datalist which has to be used to display things like search results or like feeds in a social network, these definitely require live scroll. Of course, datatable could also be used instead of datalist(in order to support live scroll) but it wont make sense to unnecessarily put this data into tables rather than in div(s) or ul(s).
Moreover table(s) are not a good choice where div(s) can work & web designers tend to avoid tables wherever possible.

I personally feel that there is a strong need for these features to be supported by datalist. And even good, if there could be a facility to tell what to use (whether div or ul) while rendering the elements of the list(something similar to outputPanel 's attribute layout='block') .

In our specific case, we need such datalist(s) to display lists of feeds aggregated on a page & in some cases results of a search.
Using Primefaces 3.4 Snapshot with JSF(Myfaces) 2.1.8

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information