Chart values in legend or on the chart, and tooltip issues

UI Components for JSF
rdelaplante

30 Sep 2011, 15:33

Hi,

Before a create a ticket for this feature request I would like to discuss it here first. I'm using bar charts and pie charts. Users have to hover over each bar or pie slice to get numbers. When I look at reports in other applications they display the values in the legend, and/or beside the bar or pie slice.

I also noticed when hovering over the bars/slices in Firefox (I'm on the latest Firefox and flash), the tooltip containing the number flickers and goes away before you can read it. When I do this in Chrome or IE the tooltip usually stays put so I can read it although I sometimes have to move the mouse a bunch of times to make it re-display then stay put. So I don't think this is a Firefox issue.

I also noticed the tooltip on the bar chart with series gives a bit too much info: Series Name : Bar name : bar index within series : bar value. The bar index within series shouldn't be there? It just confuses users since it is a number just like the bar value.

I'm using PrimeFaces 3.0.M3 on GlassFish 3.1.1.

Thanks,
Ryan

murilofla

20 Dec 2011, 22:36

Hi Ryan
About the the tooltip flickering, it was an issue in 3.0M4 for charts without a Title. For 3.0RC1, it looks like the issue was solved for Pie Charts, but not for Bar Charts. Could you confirm your charts do not include a title?

About the Bar Chart Series tooltip giving too much info, I completly agree with you. I think the X-Series name and the bar index are redundant. Why can't we just hide the index from the tooltip?
Regards

damm

03 Jan 2012, 16:00

Hello, I'm using primefaces 3.0 final and the tooltip of the PieChart still flickers if there's no title. I also agree about the index in the tooltip.. I think that's useless information.

Regards,
Damian

UstunOzgur

05 Jan 2012, 11:41

I can confirm the bug with the barchart. As a workaround, add an empty title if you like:

Code: Select all

<p:barChart title="&#160;"
Empty string

Code: Select all

title=" " 
doesn't work.

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information