IE8 Local Intranet Zone problems, Primefaces using CDN?

UI Components for JSF
maple_shaft

12 Dec 2011, 23:09

I am currently running Primefaces 2.2.1 with JSF 2.0.4. This is currently in production so upgrading is absolutely out of the question.

We have just noticed that when running the application in IE8 within the Internet security zone that everything looks good and works fine.

If the application is in the Local Intranet Zone however the page styling is wrong, and certain actions can cause IE to hang and freeze indefinitely. The only reason I could think this would happen is that Primefaces must be accessing a CDN to get the latest versions of third-party JS libraries and stylesheets like JQuery or YUI. In Local Intranet Zone for IE8 accessing a CDN wouldn't be allowed, and might explain why everything looks and acts pretty messed up.

Can someone confirm that Primefaces 2.2.1 accesses a CDN? If so do you have any suggestions about how to work around this issue or configure IE to allow access to CDN's from sites in the Local Intranet Zone?
First Primefaces Application: PrimeFaces 2.2.1, Mojarra 2.0.4, Tomcat 7.08 - JBoss 6

Second Primefaces Application: Primefaces 3.0 FINAL (<-- AWESOME!), Mojarra 2.1.2, Spring 3 with Spring Security and Spring EL Resolver, Tomcat 6

kukeltje
Expert Member

12 Dec 2011, 23:48

Can someone confirm that Primefaces 2.2.1 accesses a CDN?
Use firebug in firefox and monitor all requests... Easy to do yourself

cagatay.civici
Prime

12 Dec 2011, 23:53

If you have the old themeswitcher component, that was trying to access CDN.

PrimeFaces 3.x does not as it has a new themeswitcher.

maple_shaft

13 Dec 2011, 03:18

I am actually not using the Themeswitcher component, I am only using one theme and accessing it through a link element.

Any other thoughts on why the styles seem different between local intranet zone and internet zone? Has anybody else experienced this behavior with IE?
First Primefaces Application: PrimeFaces 2.2.1, Mojarra 2.0.4, Tomcat 7.08 - JBoss 6

Second Primefaces Application: Primefaces 3.0 FINAL (<-- AWESOME!), Mojarra 2.1.2, Spring 3 with Spring Security and Spring EL Resolver, Tomcat 6

maple_shaft

13 Dec 2011, 15:30

Okay I found out the problem!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6437&hilit=local+intranet&start=20

Apparently the Local Intranet Zone by default in IE runs all sites in Compatibility Mode. It looks like Primefaces 2.2.1 gets funky when running in Compatibility Mode, and the browser hanging issue seems to happen when any type of resize event occurs on the browser window.

When I turn Compatibility Mode off for Local Intranet Zone then the problems seem to go away.

By chance though if anybody happens to know of a hotfix I can apply to the Primefaces 2.2.1 library to resolve this issue in Compatibility Mode then please share. I prefer to fix the problem with code rather than client configuration.

callahan

13 Dec 2011, 15:54

Using the following meta tag may help:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

maple_shaft

13 Dec 2011, 17:49

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I found that this won't do what I want it to. This will set the document mode appropriately however the Browser Mode (Compatibility Mode) completely overrides any document mode suggestions. Or at least that seems to be what I gather from the multitude of SO questions regarding this very problem.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2518 ... y-mode-ie8

Apparently Microsoft felt it wise to make Compatibility Mode so completely irreversible that not even the force of 1000 suns can stop its destruction of web standards.

I love you Microsoft.

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information