PrimeFaces 3.X does not work with Spring Webflow

UI Components for JSF
smaines

05 Mar 2012, 00:43

I have asked this several times now, and I'd like an explicit reply: have you looked at any of the several sample apps I have submitted which illustrate this problem? It goes to the question: why are you so certain it is a WebFlow problem? So far, all you have said is that Spring Roo is in the habit of making fixes following new Prime Faces releases, which kinda makes sense, but doesn't suggest why it should be so with something so fundamental as WebFlow.

Simple Questions, Optimus,

-SM

P.S. I have left a note for Rossen, waiting to hear back.

cagatay.civici
Prime

05 Mar 2012, 09:42

I haven't looked at your sample.

smaines

06 Mar 2012, 03:32

Did you consider doing so? Is there some part of it that is not clear?

I've started a thread on SpringSource Community. I would have taken your advice to put the issue directly in their Jira, but how would one characterize it? There is a test matrix summarizing the failures for PrimeFaces 3.x, and the components it was tested against. Perhaps you could just start by looking at that.

-SM

cagatay.civici
Prime

06 Mar 2012, 10:11

If a feature works when SWF is not in the stack and starts failing when SWF is added, then it is not a PrimeFaces bug so I see no point in spending time on the attached war. Spring framework in general integrates with other technologies, so again it is up to SWF framework to update their integration for PrimeFaces 3. Simple as that.

The title of this post should be SWF does not work with PrimeFaces 3.x not the other way around. Hope you get my point. So again, please try to reach Rossen, hopefully he has some free time to help you out.

smaines

06 Mar 2012, 11:37

Your assertion is backwards: the FlowContext "feature" is working, even working with PF 2.2.1, but when 3.X is put in, the FlowContext feature starts failing, then it is (likely) not a WebFlow bug. Why is it inconceivable that PrimeFaces would somehow accidentally step on WebFlow session data?

The sample is very simple, yet somehow in all PrimeFaces 3.X cases, FlowContext gets stepped on. Why? It is not as if WebFlow updated, and broke PrimeFaces.

An upgrade like 2.2.1->3.X should not have such an obstacle in it, certainly in not so simple a flow. Everything else updates smoothly. When you say, "Spring framework in general integrates with other technologies, so again it is up to SWF framework to update their integration for PrimeFaces 3.", it ignores the fact that it's up to Spring WebFlow to integrate with well-behaved JSF libraries (not just PF), that PF needs to be a well-behaved JSF library, and that this evidence suggests it may not be. Avoiding this possibility is the point of taking a moment and looking at the sample.

Just look at the sample booking-faces-3.1.tgz on google code: it is simple. How could PF 3.1 break it?

-SM

cagatay.civici
Prime

06 Mar 2012, 11:49

This discussion doesn't seem to go anywhere.

smaines

06 Mar 2012, 13:36

Here is a different way of looking at it: let's say you were handed the task of updating booking-faces to PF 3.X. You, like most developers, would think this is a trivial task, as indeed it should be.

I'm saying it is not. This could be because I'm simply not up to the task, and my attempt to do so is somehow defective. Perhaps I failed to do something any reasonable developer should have known to do. That would be very embarrassing for me. If this is so, how complicated would it have to be that I'd miss it? How complicated should it be? Maybe I didn't try carefully enough.

Can you do it? Can you make this small sample app run with PF 3.1 without hacking up all the other components (as, by suggesting Spring Fuse, you've kinda proposed, though only indirectly)? Can you find the dumb thing I missed? Whatever that dumb thing is, it didn't have to do with updating all the other components, they all still work with PF 2.X.

If not, is Spring Web Flow's support of JSF somehow defective, that while you've stayed within bounds, they've failed to do so? That's the point at which I'd have filed something with Spring, though at your suggestion, I have already started a discussion on SpringSource Community.

Perhaps they will find the dumb thing I have missed, and I shall have to apologize to all concerned, :oops:

-SM

cagatay.civici
Prime

06 Mar 2012, 14:42

SpringFuse seems to be using SWF 2.3 and PrimeFaces 3.1 with no known issues;

http://www.springfuse.com/

Maybe you can ask SpringFuse guys as they have more experience on SWF - PF than I do. Maybe you are missing a config param, as I have no SWF knowledge, I can't assist you regarding SWF.

smaines

09 Mar 2012, 01:51

I can't imagine what SWF config param would be missing, as it works with 2.2.1 under all stacks tested.

I've noticed that the pagination does not change the page when a page number button is hit, but draws correctly when an F5 refresh is done, begging the question: is there some change in how and when the <p:datatable> element attribute is evaluated between 2.2.1 and 3.X? Is there some change in how and when attributes in views are evaluated generally?

-SM

MTornros

09 Mar 2012, 11:36

smaines: Webflow 2.3.0 is broken, as have been mentioned before. This isn't primefaces related. The jsf version does not matter at all. Can you confirm that these issues you are talking about exists if you downgrade to webflow 2.2.1?
Primefaces 3.4.1-jQueryfix
Spring webflow 2.3.1
Mojarra jsf 2.1.7

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information