Feedback for NetBeans

UI Components for JSF
AlainCouthures

24 Apr 2012, 13:57

Michael,

As an XForms implementer, I understand your point of view about non-developers.

What would you expect as a good visual editor for XForms? Did you try Oryx Editor (http://code.google.com/p/oryx-editor/)? Could you give an example for JSF/PrimeFaces?

Thanks!

Alain
XSLTForms Project Leader

dublintech

25 Apr 2012, 00:49

Hi Alain,

The Oryx Editor looks to be for processes rather than web pages / forms?

A visual editor for JSF would be more powerful than xforms, or at least give you the option of dropping into code to do many things not possible with xforms.

I had a look at http://www.agencexml.com/xsltforms.htm and it's really good for forms, but I guess I'm really looking for power of web page (ability to use sophisticated UI components, AJAX, etc). I may have missed something about xforms as didn't dig too deep.

Thanks,
Michael

AlainCouthures

25 Apr 2012, 22:11

Hi Mark,

The Oryx Editor could also be used for creating XForms pages: http://bpt.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/Oryx/Gett ... ormsEditor

There is also the Dimagi Editor for smartphones applications (Javarosa-ODK implements a subset of XForms): http://xforms.dimagi.com/

AJAX is clearly integrated into XForms with the submission element.

Sophisticated UI components are available as extensions in some XForms implementations. XSLTForms is not yet capable of using jQuery plugins but I already have demands about this.

The declarative approach is very interesting for non-developers because refreshes are automatically performed after changes according to declared constraints.

Thanks!

-Alain

andyba
Expert Member

27 Apr 2012, 12:10

Designers design, programmers hammer keyboards, developers develop.

Quaint way of saying that a Web Designer can create a set of XHTML templates which the Web Developer can use to build the web app front end while the programmer is doing clever things with JPA and EJBs.

Your Web Designer is almost certainly using a tool like Dreamweaver for this job and NetBeans is never going to be able to come close to the abilities of that tool.
PF 4.x (Elite versions), PF 5, Pf 5.1, PF 6.0
Glassfish 4.1, Mojarra 2.x, Java 8, Payara 4.1.1.
If you haven't read the forum rules read them now

pmblatino

03 May 2012, 16:45

-1 for visual editor, it would just take space away, and memory consuming. But is a great start up tool for beginners so +1 for the beginners :)
PrimeFaces 5.2| GlassFish 4.1| JDK1.7 | Java EE 6 | NetBeans 8.1.2

andyba
Expert Member

04 May 2012, 14:47

pmblatino wrote:-1 for visual editor, it would just take space away, and memory consuming. But is a great start up tool for beginners so +1 for the beginners :)
Visual Editors are one of the reasons why so many "web developers" stay as beginners.
Instead of learning how to develop they learn how to moan about how their visual editor doesn't deliver the goods.

cagatay.civici
Prime

04 May 2012, 14:49

Visual Editors are one of the reasons why so many "web developers" stay as beginners.
Instead of learning how to develop they learn how to moan about how their visual editor doesn't deliver the goods.
I saved this to use in a future visual editor discussion :)

andyba
Expert Member

07 May 2012, 10:30

optimus.prime wrote:
Please feel free to quote me at any time :)

montblack

08 Jun 2012, 17:56

andyba wrote:
optimus.prime wrote:
Please feel free to quote me at any time :)

Visual editor it's not about learning, it's about productivity

also we are not who to decide how people should learn or not
Sorry for my english i speak spanish

PrimeFaces Version: 3.2
GlassFish Server 3.1 (Last Update)
JSF 2.1.6

thanhvinh

17 Oct 2012, 19:46

+100 for Visual editor + Generating CRUD jsf App. It's what I call High Tech & work Smarter.

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information