Inconsistently applied component interaction states

UI Components for JSF
porthos

10 Apr 2012, 02:13

Why are the interaction state styles (i.e. ui-state-[default/hover/focus/active/highlight/disabled]) not applied consistently across all primefaces components? Can anyone suggest a fix for that?

For example:

The Calendar control uses "active" state for the currently selected date, "highlight" state for today's date, "hover" state for the date over which the mouse hovers and "disabled" state for dates that cannot be selected. This seems a reasonable strategy.

The selection list in the Autocomplete control, by contrast, uses "highlight" state for the selection over which the mouse hovers, and gives no indication for the currently selected value if it also appears in the selection list.

You might imagine then that SelectOneMenu would adopt the same strategy as Autocomplete. But, no, it offers yet another approach. It uses the "active" state to indicate the select item over which the mouse hovers, and also provides no indication to distinguish the currently selected value in the dropdown selection list.

Users find it a bit bizarre to have to deal with so many different styles of feedback from what is essentially the same set of interactions. Could we not decide on one approach and stick with it throughout? I don't really mind much which one, so long as it's the same one for all components.
-------
PrimeFaces 3.4, Glassfish 3.1.2, Mojarra 2.1.6

arturo

10 Apr 2012, 04:26

I agree on that, In my opinion this would be an easy fix, just to edit the autocomplete.js, selectonemenu.js, etc. to put the correct style classes.

I suggest to open a issue, if you do so I will vote for it
PrimeFaces 4.0 | Extensions 1.1.0 | GlassFish 4.0 | Mojarra 2.2.4 | NetBeans 7.3.1

cagatay.civici
Prime

10 Apr 2012, 08:07

I agree, add an issue please to follow a convention.

porthos

12 Apr 2012, 02:32

Good to see all are agreed on that. I opened a new issue as requested: http://code.google.com/p/primefaces/iss ... il?id=3907.
-------
PrimeFaces 3.4, Glassfish 3.1.2, Mojarra 2.1.6

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information