p:selectOneMenu is not friendly in Touch Screen such as iPad

UI Components for JSF
huangyi00

18 Aug 2012, 16:27

Hi

When using h:selectOneMenu in a touch screen such as iPad, a "Zoomed in" dialog will appear and everything works fine.

When using p:selectOneMenu, a "Zoomed in" dialog will also appear but nothing happen after selecting anything. You have to select in another small drop down list appearing at the same time.

Is there any plan to make it work better.

Anyway, Thanks very much for your great job.

Yi
Primefaces 3.5, Mojarra-2.1.10, JBoss AS 7.0.2

sudheer
PrimeFaces Core Developer

18 Aug 2012, 18:10

You need to post this under PFM.PF selectOneMenu had some issues in mobile applications.Are you trying with primefaces mobile?
Author,Speaker
https://twitter.com/sudheerjonna
Github: https://github.com/sudheerj
Website http://sudheerjonna.com/

kukeltje
Expert Member

19 Aug 2012, 15:49

No Sudheer... this is the normal primefaces components nothing related to primefaces mobile. I can confirm this on my ipad...

sudheer
PrimeFaces Core Developer

19 Aug 2012, 16:23

kukeltje wrote:No Sudheer... this is the normal primefaces components nothing related to primefaces mobile. I can confirm this on my ipad...
selectOneMenu related to primefaces core only.I too had issues with this component when i'am developing mobile application using PFM.I don't know whether he is using core only or PF+PFM but my concern is he will get better replies in PFM Forum:)
Author,Speaker
https://twitter.com/sudheerjonna
Github: https://github.com/sudheerj
Website http://sudheerjonna.com/

huangyi00

21 Aug 2012, 10:59

sudheer wrote:
kukeltje wrote:No Sudheer... this is the normal primefaces components nothing related to primefaces mobile. I can confirm this on my ipad...
selectOneMenu related to primefaces core only.I too had issues with this component when i'am developing mobile application using PFM.I don't know whether he is using core only or PF+PFM but my concern is he will get better replies in PFM Forum:)
We are only working on PF application, while not PFM. We have considered PFM, but there are not enough components we need, such as calendar. The PF application works well on both iPad and Android Pads, although we need to use h:selectOneMenu while not p:selectOneMenu. There are also some strange issues about p:calendar.

Thanks very much!
Primefaces 3.5, Mojarra-2.1.10, JBoss AS 7.0.2

smithh032772

02 Nov 2012, 18:46

huangyi00 wrote:The PF application works well on both iPad and Android Pads, although we need to use h:selectOneMenu while not p:selectOneMenu. There are also some strange issues about p:calendar.
Today, my father showed me an issue on his iPad with p:calendar; when he clicks on the p:calendar button, the dropdown appears and then disappears; we duplicated that behavior a few times.

He said it was working well about 1 or 2 weeks ago. I recently added pe:layout, and there may be some type of collision between pe:layout and p:calendar. I also asked him to go to a different page in the web app that has pe:layout, p:calendar, AND pe:timePicker. The p:calendar does not have the p:calendar button on that page. We duplicated the same behavior there. From what I remember, pe:timePicker worked as designed, though; I didn't see that behavior occur with pe:timePicker, but then again, I don't remember really testing pe:timePicker when I was just at my dad's house.

I prefer h:selectOneMenu over p:selectOneMenu, since I'm trying to keep it simple with/for the endusers. I like the latest/recent features added to/for p:selectOneMenu, and decided to add it to my app, but then I pulled it out, since endusers not really using that/those added feature(s), and I still prefer consistency throughout my app, as much as possible; consistency with the look-n-feel of h:selectOneMenu.

Anyway, I need to figure out what I'm going to do about p:calendar issue in my app for iPad enduser. Android endusers are fine with the Android popup 'calendar' dialog via HTML5 type="date", but when I added HTML5 type="date" for mobile devices, my father preferred p:calendar over HTML5 type="date". I think I will at least add type="date" to p:calendar, OR, I may force him to use HTML5 type="date" on p:inputText (same implementation that Android endusers are loving, right now... myself included). :)

For anyone interested, see forum topic I just posted in PrimeFaces Extensions forum.

pe:layout and p:calendar possible collision on iPad
Howard

PrimeFaces 6.0, Extensions 6.0.0, Push (Atmosphere 2.4.0)
TomEE+ 1.7.4 (Tomcat 7.0.68), MyFaces Core 2.2.9, JDK8
JUEL 2.2.7 | OmniFaces | EclipseLink-JPA/Derby | Chrome

Java EE 6 Tutorial|NetBeans|Google|Stackoverflow|PrimeFaces|Apache

kukeltje
Expert Member

03 Nov 2012, 12:27

Howard,

Do not forget your 'users' are your family. Our paying customers do not accept this kind of mixed ui design. They want/require/demand/pay for consistency...

Cheers,

cagatay.civici
Prime

03 Nov 2012, 12:52

Use h:selectOneMenu insted of p:selectOneMenu if you need tablet support.

smithh032772

03 Nov 2012, 14:45

kukeltje wrote:Our paying customers do not accept this kind of mixed ui design. They want/require/demand/pay for consistency...
optimus.prime wrote:Use h:selectOneMenu insted of p:selectOneMenu if you need tablet support.
Agreed, and definitely striving for consistency and user-friendliness. Only using h:selectOneMenu in my app, and trust me, my endusers are very happy with the 'PrimeFaces'/JSF/Java web app that I developed for them.

They are only unhappy when i have to take down server to push an update. I have family members that literally work around the clock (including myself), any/all hours of the night, and throughout the day. One day, if/when necessary, I'll learn how to push automatic software updates, automatically, on a schedule.

Honestly, all my endusers experience 'consistency'. iPad and laptop endusers use p:calendar, and they love/prefer that. Android endusers love the Android popup calendar dialog (via p:inputText type="date"); my Android endusers never (or hardly ever) login via desktop/PC, so they will never or rarely use p:calendar (jQuery datepicker).

Tell you one more thing. My mother uses the software more than anyone else, and my family was all concerned about her being able to learn the new web version (since she has been using the legacy/MS-DOS version of the app). My mother is 'now' an Android user as my father purchased an Android (Google Nexus 7) tablet for her, and she loves using the web app via her Android tablet, but she uses web app primarily from her laptop.

They all are accessing the HTML_BASIC pages via Android, iPad, and laptop. My father uses his iPad and his laptop.

I'm looking forward to PrimeFaces Mobile 1.0, so I can hopefully develop more PRIMEFACES_MOBILE xhtml pages, so mobile/touch devices can access those pages instead of accessing HTML_BASIC pages.

When I saw one of PrimeFaces latest blogs about Liferay, I thought to myself, I'm sure I could use that for all the different flavors of user scenarios that I have, and hopefully more users when I develop pages for customers to access, but for now, I'm fine with any/everything we have in place, as I'm really enjoying myself developing JSF/PrimeFaces/Java/HTML5/web app that is 'happily' used on multiple devices/platforms.
Howard

PrimeFaces 6.0, Extensions 6.0.0, Push (Atmosphere 2.4.0)
TomEE+ 1.7.4 (Tomcat 7.0.68), MyFaces Core 2.2.9, JDK8
JUEL 2.2.7 | OmniFaces | EclipseLink-JPA/Derby | Chrome

Java EE 6 Tutorial|NetBeans|Google|Stackoverflow|PrimeFaces|Apache

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information