Responsive Web Application

UI Components for JSF
smithh032772

08 Jan 2013, 14:47

Well, PrimeFaces (HTML_BASIC render kit) is doing well in my app and accessed by Google chrome on windows laptops, android tablets and smartphones, and iPad every day. I'm practically looking for more work to do now, so I'm planning to add more to meet more of the business requirements. Endusers want to go paperless via more mobile options. PrimeFaces and JSF is the plan to make it happen. PrimeFaces allows me to complete my HTML5 web design requirements as well, easily.

All of this was discussed yesterday in an email after I asked about developing better pages for mobile devices via PrimeFaces Mobile. They didn't care whether it was done via PrimeFaces mobile or not. Honestly, I really need to develop more PrimeFaces Mobile xhtml pages in my app for endusers using smartphones.
Howard

PrimeFaces 6.0, Extensions 6.0.0, Push (Atmosphere 2.4.0)
TomEE+ 1.7.4 (Tomcat 7.0.68), MyFaces Core 2.2.9, JDK8
JUEL 2.2.7 | OmniFaces | EclipseLink-JPA/Derby | Chrome

Java EE 6 Tutorial|NetBeans|Google|Stackoverflow|PrimeFaces|Apache

javaone9

08 Jan 2013, 23:36

JSF is for web app and should be adaptive well to all devices. Develope once, run everywhere. Right now Primefaces have <pm> separated from <p>, this makes development efforts almost double. Ideally I wish <p> could handle mobile.

cagatay.civici
Prime

08 Jan 2013, 23:45

Responsive Design Vs Separate Mobile Sites is kinda hot topic, PrimeFaces mobile follows separate mobile site like google, wordpress, twitter ...

Note that you can apply responsive design to your non-mobile JSF app to make it react to mobile layouts. (e.g. twitter bootstrap layout css)

PrimeFaces Mobile is something different, it is more like an alternative to native apps so it has mobile specific UI elements.

In the end do not expect everything from JSF and PrimeFaces, page layout is still the responsibility of page author.

smallya

09 Jan 2013, 00:58

I agree with Cagatay.

The key to Responsive design is not just the layout of the UI, it is the user experience which can be substantially different for a web/desktop experience and a mobile device (even if you discount the experience difference between tablet and a phone).

So you need to first design the user experience and then create different UI layouts using CSS and then have the app recognize and render using the appropriate layout using the corresponding CSS based on device/form-factor.
Netbeans 7.2| GlassFish 3.2 | PostgreSQL 9.1| MongoDB | Primefaces 3.4.2

mrjack

06 Feb 2013, 11:32

Hello,

I've same kind of questions than the topic's creator. I read your answers and I need some more explanations.

You was talking about "Primefaces with Bootstrap". Is it possible to see a result with advanced primefaces components ?

I'm actually trying to use Foundation (framework CSS like Bootstrap) with Primefaces and I've a lot of trouble with advanced components. Easy to make some responsive tricks with inputText or checkBox... but what a pain with datatable or combobox ! Who successfully implemented advanced components in a responsive layout ? I'm really interested to know how to do that.

Is PrimeFaces will try to improve itself about this subject ? Mobile + Desktop Interfaces is good... but full responsive design seems to be better.

Thanks for all,

Matthieu

smithh032772

06 Feb 2013, 13:10

Matthieu, look at what Optimus Prime (Cagatay) says right here,
optimus.prime wrote:In the end do not expect everything from JSF and PrimeFaces, page layout is still the responsibility of page author.
I don't think it is within scope for PrimeFaces to provide responsive web design. If you and/or others want this to be within scope of PrimeFaces, then you and/or others may need to ask for this via PrimeFaces PRO support. :)
Howard

PrimeFaces 6.0, Extensions 6.0.0, Push (Atmosphere 2.4.0)
TomEE+ 1.7.4 (Tomcat 7.0.68), MyFaces Core 2.2.9, JDK8
JUEL 2.2.7 | OmniFaces | EclipseLink-JPA/Derby | Chrome

Java EE 6 Tutorial|NetBeans|Google|Stackoverflow|PrimeFaces|Apache

Hamsterbau

06 Feb 2013, 15:29

Is PrimeFaces will try to improve itself about this subject ? Mobile + Desktop Interfaces is good... but full responsive design seems to be better.
I hope not, because this would blow up Primefaces library and not everyone needs a Responsive Web Design. For me it is enough to use CSS3 media queries. And there are many Javascript-Libs out there, creating a nice menu for mobile devices, if user agent for example indicates a mobile device. If you need these things, just add them to your Primefaces page (template).
Primefaces 8.0.7 (PF Extensions 8.0)
JSF: Mojarra 2.3.2 (Spec 2.3) - running on WildFly 22

mrjack

07 Feb 2013, 13:45

Thanks for your answers,

I know there are a lot of things who could be done just with CSS, media-queries and this kind of stuff.

But, for example, if you want to use a datatable-component in your responsive web site, it isn't possible. Responsives tables offer possibilities to remove one or more columns to just display the "main information". Primefaces, not. What is your solution for this case ?

I don't know if you try to use selectOneMenu in a responsive design but... it doesn't work well on mobile/tablet because this component use a list instead of a standard HTML select.

I didn't post here to criticize Primefaces but I wanted to know if some improvements are planned. Because no, a web-site with primefaces component cannot be full responsive.

Holly_02

30 May 2014, 07:31

Responsive web applications are adaptable to resolution of device on which these sites are opened and offers a clear resolution. Almost every web design company is using this strategy nowadays.

kukeltje
Expert Member

30 May 2014, 23:25

Holly_02 wrote:Responsive web applications are adaptable to resolution of device on which these sites are opened and offers a clear resolution. Almost every web design company is using this strategy nowadays.
So? Most components play nicely to a large extend in a responsive webapp. Labels can appear to the left of inputs or above them, etc... IF you create a responsive design upfront... Even the datagrid can easily be changed... It's all not to difficult if you know a little css. And yes it would be nice if PF had some (more) support built in in some components. But please create a conscructive post then... What component would you like to see do what... etc...

Oh and the datatable with frozen rows, columns and paging and etc...etc...etc.. will most likely not be the first component to be *fully* responsive

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information