PrimeFaces IDE Poll

UI Components for JSF

Which IDE are you using to develop PrimeFaces applications?

NetBeans
44%
Eclipse
49%
IntelliJ
7%
JDeveloper
0%

Total votes: 404
tdevos

08 Oct 2013, 21:21

I would use Netbeans if they supported IBM WebSphere...

Now using Eclipse.

gfsolis

09 Oct 2013, 01:53

Eclipse oepe

java versatec

09 Oct 2013, 08:54

I have been using Netbeans since version 4.5. Never liked Eclipse because even simple tasks need just soooo much more clicking and typing than Netbeans.

For instance in Netbeans I can create an EJB project - complete with CDI / EJB / JPS / JMS - and include this project under 'libraries' to any web project I like and it will just work like a library. Nobody has ever managed to show me how to achieve the same with Eclipse.

And while my colleagues used to need 1- 3 days to configure their eclipse for new projects I was always up and coding in under 2 hours. Except for 1 colleague who does android development the entire team switched to Netbeans after they had watched me for a while. At first they had all looked down on me / made fun of me because 'everybody knows Eclipse is the way to go'; now they are making fun of Eclipse users (I do not get why people have to make fun of others, why can they not accept each to their own?).
Primefaces 4.0 final
Mojarra 2.2.5
Glassfish 4.0

Oleg
Expert Member

09 Oct 2013, 09:38

I have used Eclipse and Netbeans many times over the years, but I always gravitate back to Intellij. There simply is no better IDE in my opinion.
Exactly my case too. I can not imagine to go back to other IDEs. The problem with this voting is that most people will vote for Eclipse / NetBeans because an excellent JSF support is only available in the commercial version of IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate. Well, it costs not much money, but the most companies prefer to use well-known free IDEs such as Eclipse / NetBeans.

What I also like in IntelliJ is the "Find Usages" and navigation per a mouse click from Spring, JSF beans to their definitions in XML or from a super class / interface to all sub-classes / classes implementing this interface. Or navigation from @Inject in CDI beans to the bean which is injected. Also the CDI view with all annotations and corresponding beans in a project is cool. And the Maven view with all profiles, goals, etc. is excellent.
PrimeFaces Cookbook (2. edition): http://ova2.github.io/primefaces-cookbook/ Learning Angular UI Development with PrimeNG: https://github.com/ova2/angular-develop ... th-primeng Blog: https://medium.com/@OlegVaraksin

smithh032772

09 Oct 2013, 23:44

java versatec wrote:I have been using Netbeans since version 4.5. Never liked Eclipse because even simple tasks need just soooo much more clicking and typing than Netbeans.
+1 glad to hear this!
java versatec wrote:For instance in Netbeans I can create an EJB project - complete with CDI / EJB / JPS / JMS - and include this project under 'libraries' to any web project I like and it will just work like a library. Nobody has ever managed to show me how to achieve the same with Eclipse.
+1 but I recognized that you are using Glassfish. NetBeans works really really well with Glassfish, but NetBeans does not work real well with TomEE. Clarification: everything you can do netBeans+Glassfish, you cannot do all of the same with netbeans+tomee. why, because netbeans sees tomee = tomcat, and tomcat is 'not' a Java EE container. hopefully, netbeans will consider adding more support for tomee.
java versatec wrote:And while my colleagues used to need 1- 3 days to configure their eclipse for new projects I was always up and coding in under 2 hours. Except for 1 colleague who does android development the entire team switched to Netbeans after they had watched me for a while. At first they had all looked down on me / made fun of me because 'everybody knows Eclipse is the way to go'; now they are making fun of Eclipse users (I do not get why people have to make fun of others, why can they not accept each to their own?).
+1

Netbeans 7.3 was a great release for HTML5

NetBeans 7.3.1 was a great release for Java EE 7.

NetBeans 7.4 comes with more mobile-and-html5-development support.

sorry, i'm not following intelliJ or eclipse to know how well they are doing with 'everything' that I mentioned above.
Howard

PrimeFaces 6.0, Extensions 6.0.0, Push (Atmosphere 2.4.0)
TomEE+ 1.7.4 (Tomcat 7.0.68), MyFaces Core 2.2.9, JDK8
JUEL 2.2.7 | OmniFaces | EclipseLink-JPA/Derby | Chrome

Java EE 6 Tutorial|NetBeans|Google|Stackoverflow|PrimeFaces|Apache

rikup

10 Oct 2013, 09:53

java versatec wrote:And while my colleagues used to need 1- 3 days to configure their eclipse for new projects I was always up and coding in under 2 hours.
I'd like to know how someone can spend more than one hour to configure IDE... It takes me 30-45 minutes to upgrade my Eclipse, import previous workspace with 30 projects, install plugins and start coding... Maybe it's the JBoss Tools thing or something (like knowing what to do) :D
PrimeNG 2.0.0
Angular 2.4.5

Oleg
Expert Member

10 Oct 2013, 11:56

I'd like to know how someone can spend more than one hour to configure IDE... It takes me 30-45 minutes to upgrade my Eclipse, import previous workspace with 30 projects, install plugins and start coding... Maybe it's the JBoss Tools thing or something (like knowing what to do)
IntelliJ stores all this kind of information in user home folder under a specific folder. So, when a new IntelliJ version is available, simple install it. It will take all settings from the previous version automatically.
PrimeFaces Cookbook (2. edition): http://ova2.github.io/primefaces-cookbook/ Learning Angular UI Development with PrimeNG: https://github.com/ova2/angular-develop ... th-primeng Blog: https://medium.com/@OlegVaraksin

rikup

10 Oct 2013, 14:43

Oleg wrote:
I'd like to know how someone can spend more than one hour to configure IDE... It takes me 30-45 minutes to upgrade my Eclipse, import previous workspace with 30 projects, install plugins and start coding... Maybe it's the JBoss Tools thing or something (like knowing what to do)
IntelliJ stores all this kind of information in user home folder under a specific folder. So, when a new IntelliJ version is available, simple install it. It will take all settings from the previous version automatically.
IntelliJ sounds pretty much awesome :) Would be nice to test it if I got enough time...
PrimeNG 2.0.0
Angular 2.4.5

smithh032772

10 Oct 2013, 15:02

Oleg wrote:IntelliJ stores all this kind of information in user home folder under a specific folder. So, when a new IntelliJ version is available, simple install it. It will take all settings from the previous version automatically.
NetBeans does that (too). :)
Howard

PrimeFaces 6.0, Extensions 6.0.0, Push (Atmosphere 2.4.0)
TomEE+ 1.7.4 (Tomcat 7.0.68), MyFaces Core 2.2.9, JDK8
JUEL 2.2.7 | OmniFaces | EclipseLink-JPA/Derby | Chrome

Java EE 6 Tutorial|NetBeans|Google|Stackoverflow|PrimeFaces|Apache

lpenet

10 Oct 2013, 15:32

I use Netbeans 7.2.

It just does what I need, simply. The main point being the very poor integration of maven in Eclipse.
Software Developer at Le Sénat - http://www.senat.fr/lng/en/index.html

When using PrimeFaces :
  • PrimeFaces Elite 5.2.5
  • MyFaces 2.2.8
  • OpenWebBeans 1.5.0
  • Deltaspike 1.3.0
  • Tomcat 8.0.23

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information