PrimeFaces IDE Poll

UI Components for JSF

Which IDE are you using to develop PrimeFaces applications?

NetBeans
44%
Eclipse
49%
IntelliJ
7%
JDeveloper
0%

Total votes: 404
rikup

16 Oct 2013, 21:01

smithh032772 wrote:Does Eclipse and IntelliJ have a multiple file replace?
Of course Eclipse has it :)
PrimeNG 2.0.0
Angular 2.4.5

honyk

18 Oct 2013, 15:05

I use NetBeans (as it is free). JSF pages I code directly by hand, with no wizards.
What could be improved:
  • Autocomplete - it offers unrelated closing tags (when <h:commandButton> is placed and you enter '<', both </commandButton> and </h:commandButton> are offered (the former one is incorrect)
  • Tag renaming - when the starting or closing tag is edited, the counterpart should be updated automatically (see the Oxygen XML editor behaviour)
  • Format feature - it does not remove extra white space between tags

smithh032772

18 Oct 2013, 15:27

honyk wrote:I use NetBeans (as it is free). JSF pages I code directly by hand, with no wizards.
okay, good. I do the same, but I do use the wizard to create beans and new projects (test cases).
honyk wrote:What could be improved:
  • Autocomplete - it offers unrelated closing tags (when <h:commandButton> is placed and you enter '<', both </commandButton> and </h:commandButton> are offered (the former one is incorrect)
  • Tag renaming - when the starting or closing tag is edited, the counterpart should be updated automatically (see the Oxygen XML editor behaviour)
  • Format feature - it does not remove extra white space between tags
1. Autocomplete: i have been using NetBeans ever since version 7.0.1, and using version 7.3 today, and I have never seen that behavior. There is a delay, sometimes, when it is trying to autocomplete/suggest a closing tag, especially on large pages or when I have a lot of windows open in NetBeans. sometimes, I like to keep Java Visual VM open and see how much memory NetBeans is using. I also increased my java (heap) memory to 12GB, since I used to see the message, running out of memory. i don't see that message much anymore, since I increased netbeans/JVM heap memory. It would be nice to see netbeans improve the performance of the closing tag that is suggested.

2. tag renaming: i agree, sounds good to me.

3. hmmm, remove extra white space between tags? can you share an example? share tag/xhtml before changes are made, share tag that has white space between tags, and share how you expect tag to look, and when should whitespaces are removed from tag... when you press <Enter> or something like that? how is netbeans supposed to know when you are done editing a tag? were you (the enduser) that put the white space there, and you expect NetBeans to clean up your work? sorry, i'm just trying to understand what you're talking about here.
Howard

PrimeFaces 6.0, Extensions 6.0.0, Push (Atmosphere 2.4.0)
TomEE+ 1.7.4 (Tomcat 7.0.68), MyFaces Core 2.2.9, JDK8
JUEL 2.2.7 | OmniFaces | EclipseLink-JPA/Derby | Chrome

Java EE 6 Tutorial|NetBeans|Google|Stackoverflow|PrimeFaces|Apache

smithh032772

22 Oct 2013, 00:56

Howard

GeertjanWielenga

22 Oct 2013, 12:07

smithh032772 wrote:
honyk wrote:What could be improved:
2. tag renaming: i agree, sounds good to me.
Tag renaming: just select the tag you want to change, press Ctrl-R, and then make your change. Ctrl-R will cause the matching tag to automatically be updated.

smithh032772

23 Oct 2013, 00:16

GeertjanWielenga wrote:Tag renaming: just select the tag you want to change, press Ctrl-R, and then make your change. Ctrl-R will cause the matching tag to automatically be updated.
wow, thanks for the reminder! I think I remember a blog being posted about this...in the last 2 or 3 months.

Quick Renaming of HTML Elements in NetBeans IDE

I just had to search google for

netbeans ctrl r Geertjan

and reply with that blog title and URL. :)
Howard

kukeltje
Expert Member

30 Oct 2013, 13:37

java versatec wrote:
rikup wrote: I'd like to know how someone can spend more than one hour to configure IDE... It takes me 30-45 minutes to upgrade my Eclipse, import previous workspace with 30 projects, install plugins and start coding... Maybe it's the JBoss Tools thing or something (like knowing what to do) :D
Just did it today and it only took me 15 minutes. (even less if I'd taken the combined download from JBoss)

java versatec wrote:When your customer uses plugins / libraries which do not work with your version of eclipse and you have to install an older eclipse with which yet other plugins do not work - this can become really time-consuming to sort out.
They should provide you with this when you develop for them. It's not eclipses fault that you can (if you are careless) to create an environment with a combination of hard to support plugins
java versatec wrote: For instance the new eclipse version destroyed my colleagues Android plugin - took him 3 days to recover from that (if I remember correctly the problem was you could not download the older eclipse version or android plugin, so a simple re-install could not be done).
That is largely do to the strange and complex way the android plugin is written/works... Not specifically an eclipse problem.

rikup

30 Oct 2013, 14:40

kukeltje wrote:
rikup wrote: I'd like to know how someone can spend more than one hour to configure IDE... It takes me 30-45 minutes to upgrade my Eclipse, import previous workspace with 30 projects, install plugins and start coding... Maybe it's the JBoss Tools thing or something (like knowing what to do) :D
Just did it today and it only took me 15 minutes. (even less if I'd taken the combined download from JBoss)
I'd say that's the difference between senior developer and junior developer ;)
PrimeNG 2.0.0
Angular 2.4.5

kukeltje
Expert Member

31 Oct 2013, 09:08

no, I just had 10 projects in my workspace ;-)

(And I was only 'confirming' what you wrote)

rikup

31 Oct 2013, 10:57

kukeltje wrote:no, I just had 10 projects in my workspace ;-)

(And I was only 'confirming' what you wrote)
Haha :D Yeah, I was just making fun of me ;)
PrimeNG 2.0.0
Angular 2.4.5

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information