Which Primefaces version to use? 1 or 2?

UI Components for JSF
rmemoria

16 Aug 2010, 00:56

Hi,

After having the first impression with PrimeFaces showcase and reading the user's guide, I got very impressed with the framework - Flexibility, theme standards, good API semantic and modularization, nice components, easy integration with JavaScript and EL functions, etc.

So this weekend I decided to put my hands on it and try to convert a small to medium project written in SEAM + RichFaces + JSF 1.2. The idea was to replace Richfaces totally by PrimeFaces. These are my conclusions:

1. The Primefaces initial setup is quite easy and well documented in the user's guide;

2. The RichFaces components can be replace with not much difficult, once you know the equivalence between them, like "a:" and "rich:" by "p:", "reRender" by "update", etc;

3. I found 2 "limitations/bugs" that prevented me to move on... The first one I found a workaround, the second one I found a post in the forum explaning it's a limitation in version 1.1 for JSF 1.2 and that it doesn't happen in version 2.1 (targeting JSF 2) .http://primefaces.prime.com.tr/forum/vi ... ion#p17032

So, please correct me if I'm wrong, it seems there is a trend to improve version 2 (which supports JSF 2) and keep version 1 as it is (for JSF 1.2). Is that correct?

Thanks,
Ricardo

Daedalus

16 Aug 2010, 12:00

Hello,

as far as I understood optimus.prime, only PrimeFaces 1.1 was the latest release for JSF 1.2 and there will be no additional Releases for the 1.* branch. So if you have the possibility to switch to JSF 2.0 I would suggest you to use the PrimeFaces 2.* branch. Also JSF 2.0 is has a lot of improvements the the old 1.2 version.
PrimeFaces 3.0, Glassfish 3.1.2, Mojarra 2.1.6,

cagatay.civici
Prime

16 Aug 2010, 13:01

Hi Ricardo,

1) PrimeFaces 2.2 is even more easier to use because there is no configuration needed, it is a single jar with no required third party dependencies.

2) Sure.

3) PrimeFaces is a JSF 2.0 component suite and we've already dropped support for JSF 1.2 last month with the final 1.1. release.
So, please correct me if I'm wrong, it seems there is a trend to improve version 2 (which supports JSF 2) and keep version 1 as it is (for JSF 1.2). Is that correct?
Yes!

rmemoria

16 Aug 2010, 15:17

Hi Optimus,

Thanks for the reply. It seems natural to support a new version and keep the previous "froozen". My only one problem is that I'm stocked in JBOSS JSF configuration, I mean, if I want to use JSF 2 in one app, I must update all my web applications to JSF 2. It's because in JBOSS server the JSF libraries are hosted in the server library folder, and they're shared among all apps.

Anyway... I'll sit down with the team this week and evaluate the effort to update our apps to JSF 2.

Thanks again,
Ricardo

cagatay.civici
Prime

16 Aug 2010, 16:57

Hi Ricardo,

Sorry to hear that you have a technology limitation currently, hope you'll find a way to upgrade or use PrimeFaces and JSF 2.0 for your new projects.

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information