ui:repeat ajax nightmares

UI Components for JSF
timothy.yip

14 Oct 2009, 11:51

Hi,

Due to an 'unique' design that I was handed to reproduce in JSF/facelet/primefaces, I had to use ui:repeat to produce a table.

The initial table data is a normal List object but to make things complicated the design outputs extra row between each 'standard' data row which uses javascript to hide them on load. When a link on a 'initial' row is clicked, ajax is called to populate the hidden row's table content and a normal javascript to show the row. As an example, I've included the code structure below.

First problem: For some reason, when I try to set the p:commandLink id to, say "breakDown_#{daily.uniqueKey}", the page produces an error, I'm not certain of the reason. I needed the unique key somewhere in the link element for javascript to pick up which row to toggle, in this case I think I've gotten away with it with accesskey, its not the best practice but hopefully we can use id in the future.

Second problem (Main one): ui:repeat forces a prepend id onto the all the component within with no option to turn it off, which results in the p:commandlink component to throw a 'component tablestring#n not found to partially update' exception.

Third problem (somewhat unrelated to primefaces): ui:repeat is basically crap in that it doesn't have a good way to get row index, in this particular case I have to manage my row index in the individual object. (which means I have to manage the insertion order more carefully)

Fourth problem: After I've fixed the 2nd and 3rd problem by replacing ui:repeat with c:for-each, when <p:panel> data gets 'refreshed' by ajax, the table attributes of 'border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" magically disappears. This isn't a huge problem, as I can solve this with css or modify the p:commandlink update attribute to target the individual <h:outputText> components rather than the panel, but it's just slightly on the annoying side :).

Like I said in this particular instance I can get away with it with c:for-each because I don't have a refresh function through saved state (for those that don't know the difference). However it would seem that in the future c:for-each function may not be suficient. Therefore instead of a fix, would it be sensible to ask for a replacement component for ui:repeat in primefaces with extended functions (like varstatus) ?

Any thoughts?

Code: Select all

<table class="stats-table"  cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
    <tr class="">
        <th class="corners-lrg-t-l" colspan="2">Date</th>
    </tr>
    <ui:repeat value="#{DailyData.initaltable}" var="daily">
        <tr class="odd">
            <td>
                <h:outputText value="#{daily.date}">
                    <f:convertDateTime pattern="EEE, d MMM yyyy" timeZone="Europe/London"/>
                </h:outputText>
            </td>
            <td>
                <h:form >
                    <p:commandLink actionListener="#{BreakdownStatisticBean.ajaxCall}"
                                   accesskey="#{daily.key}" styleClass="view-breakdown magnifier" update="tablestring#{daily.key}">
                        View Break- Down
                        <f:param name="date" value="#{daily.date}"/>
                    </p:commandLink>
                </h:form>
            </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <td colspan="5" class="breakdown" id="breakdown-#{daily.key}">
                <p:panel id="tablestring#{daily.key}" styleClass="breakdowntablediv">
                    <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>
                            <th>Ajax Data</th>
                        </tr>
                        <tr>
                            <td>BreakDown1</td>
                            <td>#{AjaxBean.data1}</td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr>
                            <td>BreakDown2</td>
                            <td>#{AjaxBean.data2}</td>
                        </tr>
                    </table>
                </p:panel>
            </td>
        </tr>
    </ui:repeat>
</table>
                <script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">
                        function initMenu() {
                          $('.breakdown').hide();
                          $('a.view-breakdown').click(
                                function() {
                                        var key = $(this).attr('accesskey');
                                         $('#breakdown-'+key).toggle();
                                        $(this).toggleClass('alt');
                                        return false;
                                });
                          }
                        $(document).ready(function() {initMenu();});
                </script>

cagatay.civici
Prime

19 Oct 2009, 11:37

Hi Timoty, soon a new component called p:dataList is coming fixing all these :) and adding new features that ui:repeat or c:forEach cant' do.

http://code.google.com/p/primefaces/iss ... ail?id=271

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information