Primefaces 2.2.RC2 Tag Description ?

UI Components for JSF
moonblade.wolf

22 Dec 2010, 06:54

I've been trying PrimeFaces 2.2.RC2 basing on the 2.1 documentation, which is lacking the new attributes descrption and it's usage.

I've checked the tld files also, but the description tags are also empty.

Is there any other source of information available for the new attributes or the new tags available in 2.2 RC2 ?

This all started when i was trying to find out about the url attribute of the menuItem tag =)

ethermion

22 Dec 2010, 14:42

Mojarra 2.2.8
Primefaces 5.1
Wildfly 8.2

moonblade.wolf

23 Dec 2010, 09:57

Thanks for the link, my bad i didnt search thoroughly before.

Now onto my childish rants because i cant get the description when evaluating primefaces 2.2 for my project :)

I think that collaboration from all around the primefaces users will help primefaces grow even further, and i think this is what have happened so far, with the suggestions, bug reports, etc directly from the primefaces users.
But with this, how are we to test this release candidate if we're not sure what the new attributes are ?

Another point is that, by emptying description, using content assist from our IDEs wont provide description for those attributes anymore.
Im currently thinking about buying the 2.2 documentation when it's out, and copy pasting every attributes to the tld file manually >.<

Just my 2 cents.

Daedalus

23 Dec 2010, 11:22

I think that collaboration from all around the primefaces users will help primefaces grow even further, and i think this is what have happened so far, with the suggestions, bug reports, etc directly from the primefaces users.
But with this, how are we to test this release candidate if we're not sure what the new attributes are ?

Another point is that, by emptying description, using content assist from our IDEs wont provide description for those attributes anymore.
Im currently thinking about buying the 2.2 documentation when it's out, and copy pasting every attributes to the tld file manually >.<

Just my 2 cents.
I agree with you. I'm planning to buy the documentation by myself but this won't be a good replacement for the tld description. It is way more handy to see a short description directly inside the IDE instead of looking for a description in a extern pdf file...

I think a short and basic tld description would be enough. There could me a more detailed inside the documentation.
On the other hand why not leaving the tld description to the community istelf? I think with only a few people we could creat a very good description very fast.
PrimeFaces 3.0, Glassfish 3.1.2, Mojarra 2.1.6,

cagatay.civici
Prime

23 Dec 2010, 12:09

I think that might hurt the User's Guide considering the fact that PrimeFaces will be funded by its commercial documentation. Also you need to build a custom jar and distribute it if you'd like to share it which is similar to buying the user's guide and share it free which will hurt PrimeFaces in a way.

draco

23 Dec 2010, 13:48

Just my 2 cents...

Why not include a documented version of the tld with the commercial primefaces user guide? That what we can refer to the user guide when we need in depth examples and explanations of the different components. We can also hook our IDEs up to the documented version of the tld so we can do quick reference lookups in the IDE when we just need to remember what an attribute is used for.

So to sum that up, when you purchase the official guide, a documented tld file comes with it. So PF still gets the necessary funds and users also get the benefit of the tld descriptions as well.

The tld doesn't need an indepth description for each field, but just something simple, the guide is what should contain all the examples/in-depth explanations etc.
PrimeFaces-3.2, Glasfish 3.1, JSF 2.0, IDEA 11, Mojarra 2.0.3

moonblade.wolf

24 Dec 2010, 03:48

Hello =)

I understand that this documentation is to support primefaces, and i'll definitely support it.

But according to my bias, i think the main technical reason i go for the documentation is not for the tag attributes reference, but for the explanations and best practices of what to use, when to use and how to use. And i can refer to it again and again when i forget some stuffs like how to use, or what should i use, etc.

With this kind of thinking, defining descriptions in the tld will certainly help the primefaces users happy when using the content assist from the IDE. And maybe will also contribute in RC version testing by the community.

In my opinion, searching the attribute description in an external pdf file involves quite a time, you have to have the file opened, scroll to the table of contents, click on the tag, scroll down to the attributes section, search manually for the attribute name, and then onto the IDE again. Maybe i'll get used to remember the attributes later on if i keep doing that, but the process is not as easy as having the short descriptions showing in the IDE content assist.

In term of ease of use, i think that "description showing up in content assist" > "tag library reference like http://primefaces.prime.com.tr/docs/tag/index.html" > "external pdf documentation"

Just my 2 cents ..

sebastianovide

17 Feb 2011, 20:20

I think that might hurt the User's Guide considering the fact that PrimeFaces will be funded by its commercial documentation. Also you need to build a custom jar and distribute it if you'd like to share it which is similar to buying the user's guide and share it free which will hurt PrimeFaces in a way.
if it is about money, why don't you sell the jar with the doc ? you will make a lot of people happier than with a PDF...

cagatay.civici
Prime

17 Feb 2011, 20:40

We cant and never ever sell the jar, we love open source.

sebastianovide

18 Feb 2011, 01:59

Code: Select all

We cant and never ever sell the jar, we love open source.
I was not talking about the code (which can be downloaded via SVN)... I was talking about documentation so that developers can develop faster... the overhead of reading the manual is too much... it is very hard to convince my team to keep on this framework.... even if I like it... I am sure that other people are experiencing the same disapoinment

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information