Theme Aristo doesn't work well in IE

UI Components for JSF
yuditriwibowo

29 Dec 2010, 09:28

I'm still beginner as Primefaces user,

I tried to use Aristo theme. It works well in Firefox but doesn't look good in IE.
Is there something wrong with my configuration? Because when I open the showcase in IE Everything looks good.

Here how I include the theme in my template :

Code: Select all

<meta content='text/html; charset=UTF-8' http-equiv='Content-Type'/>
            <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="#{request.contextPath}/css/default.css" />
            <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="#{request.contextPath}/themes/aristo/skin.css" />
Result in IE :

Result in Firefox :

Is there something wrong with my configuration?

Thanks

cagatay.civici
Prime

29 Dec 2010, 09:37

Your config is fine, unlike most other built-in themes of PrimeFaces Aristo is a theme that uses CSS3 features like gradients and shadows extensively which IE does not support. If your app has a strict requirement to look same across all browsers, you might try a different theme or roll your own with themeroller.

yuditriwibowo

11 Jan 2011, 10:35

I'm still curious, how about the showcase? I open the showcase in IE, everything looks good. Can you show me how to do that?

Allesmallachen

05 Feb 2013, 11:12

Hi,
I know this is a rather old post but I just tested the showcase and my own application in various IE and Firefox versions and I came to the same results.
The showcase looks the same (and more importantly "looks good") in almost all browsers.
Even IE 6 (which is officially not supported, and does not support css3 which is included in the aristo theme, I know) renders most (but not all) components nicely.

My application which should default to the aristo theme looks in IE 7 and IE 8 quite different from the Firefox version.
I know that this is because IE does some things differently but why is the showcase looking so good?
Is there any additional css included that is not part of the default aristo theme?

What is the svn URL to the Showcase app that is currently running on the website?
Maybe I can browse through the sources to find the hidden magic?

Cheers,

Christian

andyba
Expert Member

05 Feb 2013, 16:28

Yes it is an old post and as such should have been left alone.

In future please start a new Thread and reference old ones if needed.

The answer is: there is no magic happening behind the scenes on the Showcase as far as Themes are concerned.
You need to check out Themes and Skinning Primefaces and be aware that there will always be differences between Themes especially where older browsers are concerned. IE 8 is -not- a modern browser anymore either.
PF 4.x (Elite versions), PF 5, Pf 5.1, PF 6.0
Glassfish 4.1, Mojarra 2.x, Java 8, Payara 4.1.1.
If you haven't read the forum rules read them now

Hamsterbau

05 Feb 2013, 20:33

There is no IE version given :(

But a problem can be a wrong doctype, which can force IE8 and newer to render in Quirks mode. In newer IE versions press F12 (developer tools) to see which browser version and compatibility mode version is used by your IE (why is this browser still out there :| ).
Primefaces 8.0.7 (PF Extensions 8.0)
JSF: Mojarra 2.3.2 (Spec 2.3) - running on WildFly 22

andyba
Expert Member

06 Feb 2013, 10:20

Hamsterbau wrote:There is no IE version given :(

But a problem can be a wrong doctype, which can force IE8 and newer to render in Quirks mode. In newer IE versions press F12 (developer tools) to see which browser version and compatibility mode version is used by your IE (why is this browser still out there :| ).
Why don't I think of the DOCTYPE problem? Is it because this is just too easy?
Because a lot of companies (especially) haven't upgraded their IT infrastructure to Windows 7/8 yet.
PF 4.x (Elite versions), PF 5, Pf 5.1, PF 6.0
Glassfish 4.1, Mojarra 2.x, Java 8, Payara 4.1.1.
If you haven't read the forum rules read them now

JeffBrower

11 Feb 2013, 23:54

See my recent post - it might be what you are looking for:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28484&p=90240#p90240
PrimeNG (Angular): Apollo, Mirage
PrimeFaces (JSF)

smithh032772

12 Feb 2013, 00:43

JeffBrower wrote:See my recent post - it might be what you are looking for:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28484&p=90240#p90240
Jeff, thanks for this response. When I saw this forum topic (as I was just browsing the topics in the forum), I 'immediately' thought of your workaround/solution offered at the URL that you referenced above, and I was going to reply to this topic with the same URL. You beat me to it! :)
Howard

PrimeFaces 6.0, Extensions 6.0.0, Push (Atmosphere 2.4.0)
TomEE+ 1.7.4 (Tomcat 7.0.68), MyFaces Core 2.2.9, JDK8
JUEL 2.2.7 | OmniFaces | EclipseLink-JPA/Derby | Chrome

Java EE 6 Tutorial|NetBeans|Google|Stackoverflow|PrimeFaces|Apache

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information