Charts and alt text

UI Components for JSF
bal01

05 Nov 2009, 23:36

First let me say the charting tools are pretty cool. Thank you for your work.

We are using a number of charts on various pages and were wondering if there is any way to do the following:

Labels on pie charts
The onhover dataTip is good but it would be nice to see lines + labels to each piece of the pie for each category kindof like the following:
http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/images/ ... DDemo1.png

Limit the pie chart legend
It would be nice to be able to limit the legend by only the top X number of categories. Some our charts have 50 or so categories and showing the legend with 50 labels just takes up too much space.

No flash installed
Im testing with IE7 without flash installed and all i see is whitespace. Also, when testing IE8 with a version less than the required all i see is whitespace. I'm ok with the whitespace, but what i would really like is to be able to show some text there if flash isn't gonna work. I was thinking a alt="" attribute or something. Is there any work around for this?

type can't be used in bean
One thing i noticed: in IE6 only, if you have a list like List<RandomType> and RandomType has a field called type, the data won't show. The data will show for other browsers however. Not a big deal, but thought i might mention it.

cagatay.civici
Prime

06 Nov 2009, 02:57

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

PrimeFaces charts are based on YUI charts so it really depends on what YUI charts can offer. I'm not sure about the legend parts, they might not be possible but we need to check, we pretty much try to support everything YUI api can offer.

Also PrimeFaces does not restrict you to that, you can still use JFreeChart, see this blog entry;

http://cagataycivici.wordpress.com/2009 ... -with-jsf/

With a couple of lines, you can do a lot with JFreeChart and PrimeFaces.

bal01

06 Nov 2009, 14:55

Yeah, 3 of the things above are just nice-to-have items. But the one im really concerned with is the browser without flash installed one. Is there anything i can do to show the user some sort of message like: You need flash, im not sure how you dont have it already. The YUI library has some methods that can be called on the chart javascript object to set altText but i can't seem to get it to work... maybe you can help me?

Here's where i've been looking:
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAH ... Chart.html

thanks for the quick response

I meant to also say that i like the look and feel of the flash charts more than i do JFreeCharts. I would rather use the flash charts if possible (they just look more professional).

cagatay.civici
Prime

07 Nov 2009, 12:09

Charts were displaying some information by default when flash is not found or the player is old, I think it has broken after yui upgrade, I've added it as a todo. Thanks for the feedback. I'll update this post once there're some changes.

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information