General Workflow for Theme and Layout

UI Components for JSF
nma

26 May 2016, 09:37

Dear Community,

last month we have ordered theme- and layoutfiles of Modena. After integrating in our existing project, we're not sure about, what would be the best workflow for editing the basic theme and apply it on past or future projects.

Our first idea was to unzip the *jar-file, edit *css-file, make it a jar again und integrate it to netbeans-projekt. This would be very labourious, but in the end you could easily share the *jar-file with other projects.

The opposite idea was to use css-files only. In that way you could easily change and edit your theme, but if you want to apply it on our themes, you need more than one file.

What do you think? How are you working with layout- and themefiles?

Thank you,
Nils
Using PrimeFaces 6.0, MyFaces 2.2.10, Apache Tomcat 8.0.35

wmlsee424

19 Jul 2016, 09:26

I'm also interested in finding out as I'm a newbie. Any help?

cagatay.civici
Prime

23 Jul 2016, 19:51

I'd just get the tag folder which is the project source, copy the primefaces-modena folder under the webapp/resources so that whole theme artifacts will be under your webapps. As far as I know, JSF first looks under webapp and then inside jars so your theme.css edits will be loaded on page, not the theme.css inside jar. If you find yourself constantly need to do changes on theme.css, that will speed it up. Once the changes are stable, it might be a good idea, to put it back in a new jar for reuse in future projects easier.

Only issue might be syncing your changes with our changes but modena is very stable and no plans to do major changes. To avoid this though, alternative would be having a theme-override.css inside your webapp that overrides css of theme so that theme.css can be updated without breaking your changes.

So there are two alternatives.

Return to “PrimeFaces”

• Information