[Moved] Tooltip & tab header

Community Driven Extensions Project
Oleg
Expert Member

24 Feb 2012, 16:08

I like the your tooltip component. Are there plans for this to support Primefaces tab headers, i.e. generate tooltip based on titletip attribute.

Thanks

==================================================================

Hi,

Glad to hear that you like the tooltip component. What for "titletip" attribute and "tab headers" did you mean? Have you tried "forSelector" in pe:tooltip? You can select any HTML element by "forSelector" (jQuery selector). Figure out the CSS class for tab headers in Firebug and apply it in "forSelector". E.g.

<pe:tooltip value="..." forSelector=".titletip" />

Similar to this example http://fractalsoft.net/primeext-showcas ... oltips.jsf

====================================================================
Thank you for your reply.

Following your advice, I was able to get a shared tooltip to work.

<p:tabView id="tabs" >
<p:tab id="studentBackups" title="Remote Edits">
<pe:tooltip forSelector="#tabs li" shared="true" value="Remotely Edited Records"/>

However, I would like to have a unique tootip for each tab. This, though, does not seem to work, at least not as done below.

<p:tabView id="tabs" >
<pe:tooltip for=":tabs:studentBackups" value="Remotely Edited Records"/>

Thank you,

Hi,

Sure, this doesn't work:

<pe:tooltip for=":tabs:studentBackups" value="Remotely Edited Records"/>

because p:tab doesn't generate any markup! Therefore, I proposed to look CSS selectors for each tab in Firebug. Something with "studentBackups" (as part of id) should be available in markup.

Good luck.

Hello,

"studentBackups" does appear in the markup, but as part of the id of the tab container:

<div id="tabs:studentBackups" class="ui-tabs-panel ui-widget-content ui-corner-bottom" role="tabpanel" aria-hidden="false">tab1 content</div>

So I can get the tooltip to work for the tab container, but I would like it to work for the tab header. The header is markedup as follows:

<ul class="ui-tabs-nav ui-helper-reset ui-helper-clearfix ui-widget-header ui-corner-all" role="tablist">
<li class="ui-state-default ui-tabs-selected ui-state-active ui-corner-top" role="tab" aria-expanded="true">
<a href="#tabs:studentBackups">Testtab1</a>
</li>
<li class="ui-state-default ui-corner-top" role="tab" aria-expanded="false" title="This is test tab2 tooltip"><a href="#tabs:tab2">testtab2</a>
</li>
</ul>

so, using <pe:tooltip forSelector="(#tabs li" value="tab 1 tip"/> does produce a tooltip for the tab header but the *same* tooltip for all tabs in that tabview.

I can get it working with a modification to org.primefaces.component.tabview -- adding "writer.writeAttribute("id", tab.getClientId(context)+"_header", null);" to the encodeTabHeader method, & then using:

<pe:tooltip forSelector="#tabs:studentBackups_header" value="Tab1 tooltip"/>

I am perhaps missing an easier solution. Thanks again for you help.

Hi,

Try this forSelector:

forSelector="tabs:studentBackups .ui-tabs-nav a[href*='#tabs:studentBackups']"

there are other combinations as well. You should have somethink like at the end of the selector

a[href*='#tabs:tabs2']

There are other possibilities too. You can select li element with JQuery. Simple use parent selector for links (a elements with href) http://api.jquery.com/parent-selector/ Try to set tooltip for a elements at first and then for li elements. jQuery selectors are flexible enough.

Write here what I tried then.

Cheers.

Hello, Thanks!!

I got it to work with <pe:tooltip forSelector='a[href*="#tabs:studentBackups"]:parent' value="Tab1 tooltip"/>

It would not work however if I had the double quotes on the outside.

Fine.

forSelector expects a string. Following syntax is correct:

<pe:tooltip forSelector='a[href*="#tabs:studentBackups"]:parent' .../>
<pe:tooltip forSelector="a[href*='#tabs:studentBackups']:parent" .../>

Cheers.

When I use this syntax, <pe:tooltip forSelector='a[href*="#tabs:tab1"]:parent' .../>, it is rendered like so in the browser:

<script id="j_idt63_s" type="text/javascript">$(function() {widget_j_idt63 = new PrimeFacesExt.widget.Tooltip('j_idt63',{global:false,shared:false, forTarget:'a[href*="#tabs:tab1"]:parent',content:'Tab1 tooltip',show:{event:'mouseenter',delay:0,effect:function(){$(this).fadeIn(500);}},hide:{event:'mouseleave',delay:0,effect:function(){$(this).fadeOut(500);}},position: {at:'bottom right',my:'top left'}});});</script>

However, when I reverse the quotes, <pe:tooltip forSelector="a[href*='#tabs:studentBackups']:parent" .../>, it is rendered like this:

<script id="j_idt63_s" type="text/javascript">$(function() {widget_j_idt63 = new PrimeFacesExt.widget.Tooltip('j_idt63',{global:false,shared:false, forTarget:'a[href*='#tabs:tab1']:parent',content:'Tab1 tooltip',show:{event:'mouseenter',delay:0,effect:function(){$(this).fadeIn(500);}},hide:{event:'mouseleave',delay:0,effect:function(){$(this).fadeOut(500);}},position: {at:'bottom right',my:'top left'}});});</script>

the above results in an error due to the internal & external single quotes.

A slight change in the TooltipRenderer (writer.write(",forTarget:'" + target + "'"); ===>>> writer.write(",forTarget:'" + target.replaceAll("'","\\\\'") + "'"); ) resolves this issue.

Thanks again.

#Ok, thanks. We should write escaped strings. It will be fixed in 0.3.0.
PrimeFaces Cookbook (2. edition): http://ova2.github.io/primefaces-cookbook/ Learning Angular UI Development with PrimeNG: https://github.com/ova2/angular-develop ... th-primeng Blog: https://medium.com/@OlegVaraksin

Return to “Extensions”

• Information