Figma Update

Forum rules
Please note that response time for technical support is within 3-5 business days.
cbutler

29 Jun 2023, 15:58

Hello,

Question about the Figma update coming - can we expect to have to use Figma Tokens Studio or will theming be doable through the use of the Figma variables (obviously still in beta, but seems very similar)? I ask this because my team is trying to plan our workflow currently and trying to anticipate what is to come.

I just saw the other post about perhaps not using the Tokens Studio plugin? Is that correct?

Any insight is appreciated to help us shape our workflow for an easy transition.

Thank you,

Christine

cbutler

07 Jul 2023, 18:20

Follow-up question: Is Designer to be what we use instead of Tokens Studio moving forward for theming? Will that play into Figma updates that would need to be made in designs to theme easily?

Thank you!

Christine

gepardec

10 Jul 2023, 08:31

we have the same questions, as we need to plan ahead too. the lack of planned release dates or roadmap from primetek makes us look stupid in front of our superiors, as we wait indefinitely.

w00f

14 Jul 2023, 11:45

Hello!

Since the recent release of new Figma features, we were in investigation mode before making any decisions. After thorough consideration, we have concluded that Variables are not sufficient for our future plans. Therefore, we have decided to continue using the Tokens Studio plugin.

We are excited to announce the upcoming release of Figma UI Kit 2.1 with Tokens Studio support this month (July 2023). However, please note that with the planned release of the Designer App in the following months, the tokens used in version 2.1 may undergo changes. Therefore, if you are planning to use the Theme Designer application that we are currently working on, we kindly advise you to be aware that the tokens may be subject to change.

Best regards,

megaroeny

02 Aug 2023, 23:20

w00f wrote:
However, please note that with the planned release of the Designer App in the following months, the tokens used in version 2.1 may undergo changes. Therefore, if you are planning to use the Theme Designer application that we are currently working on, we kindly advise you to be aware that the tokens may be subject to change.
If we just started using the Figma UI Kit and need to make a theme, should I avoid using the Designer app for the time being? Or for how long should I avoid it? And how should we best modify one of the provided themes (Thanks for any guideance.

Note: We don't want to rely on the Tokens Studio plugin, and we're looking into migrating the styles that come with the kit to Figma Variables. Is that an issue?

w00f

03 Aug 2023, 16:30

megaroeny wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 23:20
w00f wrote:
However, please note that with the planned release of the Designer App in the following months, the tokens used in version 2.1 may undergo changes. Therefore, if you are planning to use the Theme Designer application that we are currently working on, we kindly advise you to be aware that the tokens may be subject to change.
If we just started using the Figma UI Kit and need to make a theme, should I avoid using the Designer app for the time being? Or for how long should I avoid it? And how should we best modify one of the provided themes (Thanks for any guideance.

Note: We don't want to rely on the Tokens Studio plugin, and we're looking into migrating the styles that come with the kit to Figma Variables. Is that an issue?
In the response I mentioned, the Designer application I referred to has not been released yet and is actively under development.

What I wanted to convey in my message was a cautionary note about the Token support we introduced with version 2.1. The Tokens we use in this version of the application may undergo significant changes during the development process of the Designer app. Therefore, in the upcoming UI Kit releases, you may encounter different tokens. Currently, there is no tool available to connect our UI Kit with UI libraries.

We know that there are plugins available that can accomplish the migration, but we haven't experimented with them yet. It's probably going to work as expected for tokens that are supported by the native implementation.

Best regards,

megaroeny

04 Aug 2023, 02:40

I appreciate the details. Thank you!

Return to “Figma”

• Information